Monday, November 14, 2011

Iron Training Week 12 - Mike D.

Wow, I didn't think I'd be so damn nervous, anxious, and/or excited as I am right now. My nerves started getting the best of me today as I went over the athlete guide for the race. Even writing about the event right now makes my heart race and my hands shake. It's like the first time I asked a girl out, but instead of lasting for 10 minutes it lasts for hours until I can get the IM out of my head. Then something will come up related to the race and I'll be right back into a near panic attack. I think that heading out on Thursday and getting the formalities started will help to calm me down. At least, that's how it was before the Half Iron and before my marathon. I guess I just end up finally coming to terms with the fact that no matter how I feel and no matter what the weather brings me, I am going to go out and get it done. Hoping for the best, being prepared for the worst, and ultimately making the best out of the experience that I can.

The support shown during training from my friends and family has been incredible. Several people I would not expect to care have been some of my most avid supporters, offering words of encouragemnet and cheering me on as I struggled through the longer days.  If you are reading this, I hope to give you a big hug on Monday and tell you how much your love and support has helped me on this journey.

Training totals for week 12:

Swim: 4 miles
Bike: 58 miles
Run: 18 miles
P.S This swim start is going to be crazy.

No comments: