Sunday, September 11, 2011

Iron Training Week 3 - Mike D.

Reality is starting to set in. I've known for a while that this was not going to be easy but I am now realizing that this is going to be the hardest thing I have worked for in my life.

The weekdays are becoming routine and the intervals I am presented with toward the beginning of the week are a welcome site now. The second set of work outs, which I am now realizing are meant for maintenance and recovery, are making more sense and I am learning to enjoy those days and not push during them.

As for the weekends, that's a whole different ball game. I'm tackling the long runs pretty well, but I am only averaging about 9:00 a mile. Not bad, but I would like to be closer to 8:30. The long swims are a bit more brutal than I thought and I find myself having stomach issues during them. Probably going to switch to a sandwich in between the workouts instead of the pasta I have been eating. Sunday's long bike ride has been a crap shoot. Sometimes they go great and others not so much. This Sunday was a not so much day. I hit a low point about 3 hours into the ride and didn't think I had much more to give. After about 5 miles of being bitter, I turned things around and gritted out the last 15 miles of the ride. Though I was ecstatic I recovered, bonking during an 80 mile ride made me question how I'll be feeling when i finish the full 113 and then have to run a marathon. I guess that's why you train hard and stay disciplined to stay on track.

Training totals for week 3:
Swim: 6 miles
Bike: 111 miles
Run: 27 miles

I snagged these wheels for this Tri as well as future triathlons. Once I get some gears on these wheels, I'm done spending money on this bike unless it's for maintenance.


No comments: