Sunday, September 4, 2011

Iron Training Week 2 - Mike D.

This week went fantastic. No issues with a single work out and recovery is going great. I made sure to get up extra early and start my longer runs by 6:00 AM on Tuesday and Saturday and that definitley seemed to help. On Sunday I started my spin early and was able to avoid the heat for the most part although it did creep up to 90 by the end of my ride.

Nutrition was the only real question mark for me in the rampl up. In shorter distance triathlons, I've only needed to take in about 200 calories and hour, but for the full 140.6, I'll need to take in around 400 calories per hour. I'm able to take in around 300 calories now, but I think the jump to 400 calories might be hard to adjust to. I'll work on that this coming weekend.

For recovery, I have been spending some painful hours on my personal massage tools and foam/pvc roller. I also have some compression pants to help increase blood flow in my legs. Throw that in with stretching after every work out, and I have another 5 hours of recovery I do each week aside from the actuall work outs. I'm probably going to add ice baths to the regular rotation as long as bi-weekly sports massages.

I got myself some new goodies ordered up that should be in next week that I am stoked on. New S-Works shoes from Specialized to hopefully help with some circulation and swelling issues I'm having in my right foot. Also, a new Prevail helmet that is super light and should help me with staying cool.

Training totals for week 2:
Swim: 5miles
Bike: 105miles
Run: 26 miles


No comments: