Monday, October 10, 2011

Iron Training Week 6 & 7 - Mike D.

Past half way. Woohooo!!!!!

Week 6 was a killer. Definitley the hardest week of training of my life. The limited efforts I had to put in due to my cold I dealt with toward the end of week 5 and into week 6 did not have me properly prepared for the long run and ride I had punishing me at the end of week 6. I put in a safe level of effort during my workouts through week 6 and just tried to take it easy so that I would not fall back into being sick. It worked and I am back to 100% now.

Training totals for week 6:
Swim: 6 miles
Bike: 120 miles
Run: 29 miles

I caught a red eye flight Sunday night to visit my friends at Lowbrow Customs in Ohio on Monday. I managed to get in a fair amount of self massage with my tools from Trigger Point and wore my compression pants for about 36 hours. That kept my legs from swelling up on the plane and did a surprisingly good job on helping me recover. Pretty impressive when you consider the 18 mile run and 90 mile bike I did over the weekend. I got back from my brief trip around midnight on Monday and began my full week of recovery.
Pretty light excersise through out the week and then a 2 hour bike on Saturday followed by a 1 hour run on Saturday and Medium - High intesity. At the end of that brick, I was satisfied but not impressed. I had a hard time taking in oxygen on the bike due to the really cold air. I think I'll try using my inhaler next time and that should help my airways to stay open and not contract on me in the cooler environment.
Swimming is becoming easier for me and I am able to think about my stroke a lot more during my time in the pool rather than just surviving. Now is not the time, but once I get past IM I want to learn how to become better at this sport.

Training totals for week 7:

Swim: 2.5 miles
Bike: 65 miles
Run: 13 miles

 

No comments: